We are pleased to announce the launch of the updated OpenSignal app for Android. The new version has been months in development and is now available on all Android platforms. It represents a significant upgrade on our previous app, so we’ll talk you through some of our new features – alternatively you can watch the video here or go to our Android app intro page. We are also launching a competition for one of our users to win a Nexus 7!
The new version of the app allows you to:
– Find a better connection, using our signal compass to point you in the direction of better signal.
– See our crowd-sourced coverage maps in-app and compare the quality of mobile networks directly on your phone with data from 200 countries worldwide.
– Locate nearby public access wifi networks, and see them clearly on a map, with over 100 million wifi hotspots logged.
– Test the speed of your data connection with our speedtest feature.
– Keep track of your data, text and voice usage with our brand new ‘stats’ tab.
OpenSignal create independent maps of carrier network coverage based on information crowd-sourced from users of our Android app. With over 2.5m downloads worldwide we’re the biggest source of impartial information on the speed and coverage of mobile carriers, good for consumers trying to choose between competing networks or just generally wanting to improve their cell phone reception. For far too long consumers have had to accept the statistics that network provide about their own speed and coverage, and it’s part of our project to open up this information for general consumption. Everyone who downloads our app helps to contribute to our database and improve the quality of our information.